Kitchen Wing Visitors Center c.2007
Completely reengineered from documentation based on the original kitchen foundation. Known as the "Kitchen Wing", this new area serves as the first welcome room to the Vanderveer/Knox Museum. Also included are a staircase to access the upstairs storage area, a new Hall Exhibit area, and modern bathroom facilities.
Parlor Rooms (Front & Back) , c.1770's
These rooms are considered to be part of the original house, made with wood dating back to 1772, as dendrochronology reports indicate. The house is typical of Dutch frame architecture found in New Jersey during the 1770's and is west Georgian in design. Original fabric in these rooms includes wide plank pine floor boards, barrel back cabinetry, window frames and ceiling beams. The blue delft tile in the main parlor room is indicative of the kind of tile surround found in fireplaces in this area during the 1770's. The door on the fireplace wall leads to what would have been the original 18th century kitchen. The colors used in the rooms were determined by detailed paint analysis conducted through research by the architects.
Entry Hall c.1770's
The main entry hall, with original wide plank pine floor boards, retains the outside wall of the original 1770's house. It became an interior wall when the 1813 addition was constructed. A glass wall panel has been installed during restorations to show the original brick construction, including a window frame.
Main Gallery Room, (Front Exhibits) c. 1813
This room is part of the 1813 Federal period addition to the original Jacobus Vanderveer House and has been outfitted as a main exhibit room. Most of the original pine floor boards remain intact as does a significant Federal style wood carved mantel. All window moldings are original. The ceilings were higher than the west Georgian section and rooms more spacious.
Prich Matthews History Center
Housed in the small parlor of the 1813 Federal addition, the Prich Matthews History Center maintains the continuity of design details found in the Main Gallery Room with raised wood paneling above the corner fireplace. Today, it contains a collection of historical documents and books chronicling the origins and restoration of the Vanderveer House, colonial architecture, General Henry Knox, the American Revolution and Colonial life. Visitors are welcome to pull up a chair and learn more about Bedminster Township’s role in our nation’s early struggle for independence.
Upstairs Rooms - Bed Chambers & Exhibit Room c. 1770's
The upstairs front room retains original pine floor boards and knee high windows. The back chamber room has a glass wall panel under the western window which was installed during restorations to display original insulation. All original insulation was kept throughout the house where possible.
Main Exhibit Room c. 1813
The 1813 upstairs room has been renovated into office space. The two exposed chimneys show how typically Dutch Colonial architecture merged two flues into one.